Itasca, IL 60143
The primary responsibility of the Print Estimator is to develop cost estimates on routine and complex jobs as required by customer’s request, to assist Sales/Purchasing/Management in the custom manufacturing of our clients print work. The estimator must understand the customer requirements and the cost of meeting those requirements within the company capabilities.
The ideal individual will be an integral part of the team’s work flow, has an awareness of unrelated activities, and must be able to interact and successfully complete projects with/through senior managers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates.
- Engineer the best production plan for a project.
- Evaluate all methods available for producing a job and provides quotes based on the most economical method.
- Plan jobs using a variety of substrates and printing methods
- Revise estimates as needed due to specification changes.
- Perform job cost analysis.
- Develop knowledge of materials available and recommends cost saving opportunities.
- Prepare estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work.
- Consult with sales, vendors, personnel in other departments to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Must evaluate individual responsibilities and use initiative and resourcefulness to develop new methods, criteria or propose new policies.
- Maintain estimating standard procedures including meeting turn times required for all estimates.
- Assure quality standards are met before delivering a quote.
- Utilize estimating software to provide quotes to Sales and Customer Service Representatives.
- Consult with the appropriate department managers to determine production capabilities and optimal production process.
- Advise and provide direction and support to employees trying to determine specifications on a project.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE:
- College degree preferably in Print Management or related field
- 5 + years experience in production planning/customer service
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong math, computer and analytical skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft products, with emphasis on Excel
- Must have a comprehensive knowledge of all printing and print finishing processes including prepress, small and large format digital, offset print, screen print and bindery/fulfillment operations
- Mail personalization and postal procedure knowledge
- Ability to resolve conflicts
- Ability to take initiative and need little supervision
- Ability to be proactive in anticipating and communicating project issues with internal departments including Sales
Manager to whom this position reports will be the Director of Client Services